HPB Virtual Journal Club 2016 Number 12, September 2016
An evidence based approach to technical factors in pancreatic surgery
Welcome to our latest VJC offering. In this VJC we have focused on systematic reviews with a focus on technical issues related to pancreatic surgery. The learning points are:
- Understand that RAMPS is associated with oncologically superior outcomes as compared to standard distal pancreatectomy
- Robotic distal pancreatectomy appears equivalent to laparoscopic distal pancreatectomy although would appear to be associated with an increased rate of 90 day readmission rate.
- Understand that SMA margin involvement remains a common occurrence following pancreaticoduodenectomy however the true effect of this remains unclear due to inconsistent use of standardised definitions.
- Understand that extended lymphadenectomy during pancreaticoduodenectomy is associated with an increase in significant short and long term morbidity without any survival benefit.
- Understand the benefits associated with pylorus resecting pancreaticoduodenectomy as compared to pylorus preserving pancreaticoduodenectomy.