HPB Virtual Journal Club Number 10, September 2015
Welcome to the latest VJC focusing on the technical aspects associated with the pancreatic anastomosis following pancreaticoduodenectomy.
The learning objectives are as follows:
- To understand the morbidity associated with post-operative pancreatic fistula (POPF) and why it is important to minimise the risk of POPF.
- To understand the type of possible pancreatic reconstructions and the outcomes associated with each.
- To be able to interpret the literature describing various techniques by understanding the risk factors for pancreatic anastomotic failure that may alter reported outcomes.
- To understand that Somatostatin analogues would appear to have a harmful effect.
- To understand that the risk of POPF can be predicted early by the use of serum amylase.
- To understand options for the pancreatic remnant when faced with reoperation.
- To understand the key technical components of performing a Blumgart pancreaticojejunsotomy.