HPB Virtual Journal Club Number 2, Updated July 2013
“Biliary Injury: Avoidance, Diagnosis & Management”
Biliary Injury is the most severe complication of laparoscopic cholecystectomy. It causes lasting morbidity, can be fatal, increases health care costs, and often results in litigation. These recently published HPB articles together with an expert video provide your Journal Club the content to meet these Learning Objectives:
- Understand the significance of biliary injury on patients long term quality of life.
- Understand that fundus first cholecystectomy should be avoided when faced with a hostile gallbladder.
- Compare two papers that reach different conclusions regarding the timing of repair of biliary injury.
- Review an expert video to learn four technical maneuvers that can help you avoid biliary injury during Cholecystectomy.
- Understand the role and outcomes of hepatectomy or liver transplant following biliary injury.