Hepatic venous pressure gradient (HVPG) is the criterion for assessing sinusoidal portal hypertension. Using HVPG to assess the degree of liver fibrosis by transjugular liver biopsy (TJLB) is still being explored, as no data has been shown that portal hypertension may already be present in patients with advanced hepatic fibrosis (Scheuer stage ≥ S3). The objective of this study was to observe whether portal hypertension exists before progressing to cirrhosis (Scheuer stage = S4).
Fifty patients who underwent TJLB and HVPG were enrolled. The correlation between Scheuer stage and HVPG was analyzed using the Pearson correlation coefficient, and the ROC curve predicted the diagnostic value of HVPG in patients with hepatic fibrosis.
The Scheuer stage and HVPG significantly correlated (r = 0.654, p < 0.001). The AUC of HVPG in predicting advanced liver fibrosis was 0.896, and of cirrhosis was 0.810. There were 45 patients with portal hypertension (HVPG> 5 mmHg), 12 with S3, 29 with S4; There were 42 patients with CSPH (HVPG≥ 10 mmHg), 11 with S3, and 29 with S4.
HVPG is valuable in evaluating the Scheuer stage of liver fibrosis in patients with TJLB. Portal hypertension might already exist before the progression to cirrhosis in some patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to HPB
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Molecular and cellular mechanisms of liver fibrosis and its regression.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2021; 18: 151-166
- Molecular pathophysiology of portal hypertension.Hepatology. 2015; 61: 1406-1415
- The utility of liver biopsy in 2020.Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2020; 36: 184-191
- Consensus on the diagnosis and therapy of hepatic fibrosis in.Zhonghua Gan Zang Bing Za Zhi. 2019; 27: 657-667
- Analysis of 14 cases of transjugular liver biopsy.Zhonghua Gan Zang Bing Za Zhi. 2019; 27: 799-801
- Baveno VII - renewing consensus in portal hypertension.J Hepatol. 2022; 76: 959-974
- Consensus on clinical application of hepatic venous pressure gradient in China (2018).Zhonghua Gan Zang Bing Za Zhi. 2018; 26: 801-812
- Hepatic venous pressure gradient as a predictor of fibrosis in chronic liver disease because of hepatitis B virus.Liver Int. 2008; 28: 690-698
- Hepatic venous pressure gradient identifies patients at risk of severe hepatitis C recurrence after liver transplantation.Hepatology. 2006; 43: 492-499
- Hepatic venous pressure gradient correlates with advanced hepatic fibrosis: a retrospective review.Abdom Radiol (NY). 2017; 42: 2609-2614
- Hepatic venous pressure gradient to assess fibrosis and its progression after liver transplantation for HCV cirrhosis.Liver Transplant. 2007; 13: 1305-1311
- Impact of fentanyl analgesia on the accuracy of HVPG measurements in patients with cirrhosis: a prospective, multicenter study.Hepatol Commun. 2023; 7e0002
- Use of liver imaging and biopsy in clinical practice.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 756-768
- Liver: transjugular liver biopsy yields high-quality samples.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012; 9: 491-492
- Hepatic venous pressure gradient measurements in children: correlation with hepatic histology and clinical indicators of portal hypertension.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2019; 68: 788-792
- Impact of propofol sedation on the diagnostic accuracy of hepatic venous pressure gradient measurements in patients with cirrhosis.Hepatol Int. 2022; 16: 817-823
- Measurement of liver and spleen stiffness as complementary methods for assessment of liver fibrosis in autoimmune hepatitis.Liver Int. 2021; 41: 348-356
- Accuracy comparison of MR elastography and biological markers in detecting liver fibrosis and predicting postoperative ascites.HPB. 2021; 23: 1383-1391
- Transjugular liver biopsy with hemodynamic evaluation: correlation between hepatic venous pressure gradient and histologic diagnosis of cirrhosis.J Clin Imaging Sci. 2021; 11: 25
- Clinical significance of the Scheuer histological staging system for primary biliary cholangitis in Japanese patients.Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2017; 29: 23-30
- Refining the Baveno VI elastography criteria for the definition of compensated advanced chronic liver disease.J Hepatol. 2021; 74: 1109-1116
- Quantitative assessment of liver fibrosis (qFibrosis) reveals precise outcomes in Ishak “stable” patients on anti-HBV therapy.Sci Rep. 2018; 8: 2989
Published online: February 13, 2023
Accepted: February 9, 2023
Received: August 27, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association Inc. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.