There are conflicting data on the risk of postoperative pancreatic fistula (POPF) associated with postoperative NSAID use. The primary objective of this multi-center retrospective study was to assess the relationship between ketorolac use and POPF. The secondary objective was to assess for effect of ketorolac use on overall complication rate.
Retrospective chart review of patients undergoing pancreatectomy from January 1, 2005–January 1, 2016 was performed. Data on patient factors (age, sex, comorbidities, previous surgical history etc.), operative factors (surgical procedure, estimated blood loss, pathology etc.), and outcomes (morbidities, mortality, readmission, POPF) were collected. The cohort was compared based on ketorolac use.
The study included 464 patients. Ninety-eight (21%) patients received ketorolac during the study period. Ninety-six (21%) patients were diagnosed with POPF within 30 days. There was a significant association between ketorolac use and clinically relevant POPF (21.4 vs. 12.7%) (p = 0.04, 95% CI [1.76, 1.04–2.97]). There was no significant difference in overall morbidity or mortality between the groups.
Though there was no overall increase in morbidity, there was a significant association between POPF and ketorolac use. The use of ketorolac after pancreatectomy should be judicious.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to HPB
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Rates of complications and death after pancreaticoduodenectomy: risk factors and the impact of hospital volume.Ann Surg. 2000; 232: 786-795
- Complications of pancreatic cancer resection.Dig Surg. 2002; 19: 138-146
- The impact of complications on costs of major surgical procedures: a cost analysis of 1200 patients.Ann Surg. 2011; 254: 907-913
- The 2016 update of the International Study Group (ISGPS) definition and grading of postoperative pancreatic fistula: 11 years after.Surgery. 2017; 161: 584-591
- Calculating the risk of a pancreatic fistula after a pancreaticoduodenectomy: a systematic review.HPB. 2015; 17: 1040-1048
- Predictive factors for postoperative pancreatic fistula.Ann Surg. 2015; 261: E99
- Pancreatic fistula rate after pancreatic resection. The importance of definitions.Dig Surg. 2004; 21: 54-59
- Improved hospital morbidity, mortality, and survival after the Whipple procedure.Ann Surg. 1987 Sep; 206 (PMID: 3632096; PMCID: PMC1493175): 358-365https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-198709000-00014
- Measures to prevent pancreatic fistula after pancreatoduodenectomy: a comprehensive review.Arch Surg. 2009 Nov; 144 (PMID: 19917946): 1074-1080https://doi.org/10.1001/archsurg.2009.193
- Pancreaticoduodenectomy: a 20-year experience in 516 patients.Arch Surg. 2004 Jul; 139 (discussion 725-7) (PMID: 15249403): 718-725https://doi.org/10.1001/archsurg.139.7.718
- Postoperative pancreatic fistula: an international study group (isgpf) definition.Surgery. 2005; 138: 8-13
- The cost of perioperative complications following pancreaticoduodenectomy: a systematic review.Pancreatology. 2018; 18: 208-220https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pan.2017.12.008
- Meta-analysis of pancreaticogastrostomy versus pancreaticojejunostomy after pancreaticoduodenectomy.Br J Surg. 2014; 101: 1196-1208
- Pasireotide for postoperative pancreatic fistula.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 2014-2022
- Systematic review and meta-analysis comparing three techniques for pancreatic remnant closure following distal pancreatectomy.Br J Surg. 2015; 102: 4-15
- Pancreaticojejunostomy versus pancreaticogastrostomy reconstruction for the prevention of postoperative pancreatic fistula following pancreaticoduodenectomy.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; (Issue 9)CD012257https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD012257.pub2
- Risk factors of pancreatic fistula after pancreaticoduodenectomy: a collective review.Am Surg. 2011; 77: 257-269
- The effect of early postoperative non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs on pancreatic fistula following pancreaticoduodenectomy.J Gastrointest Surg. 2015; 19: 1632-1639
- Ketorolac use may increase risk of postoperative pancreatic fistula after pancreaticoduodenectomy.J Surg Res. 2018; : 43-48
- New persistent opioid use after minor and major surgical procedures in US adults.JAMA Surg. 2017 Jun 21; 152 (Epub 2017 Jun 21. Erratum in: JAMA Surg. 2019 Mar 1;154(3):272. PMID: 28403427; PMCID: PMC7050825)e170504https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2017.0504
- Current state of enhanced Recovery after surgery in hepatopancreatobiliary surgery.J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech. 2018 Dec; 28 (Epub 2018 Jun 20. PMID: 29924662): 1471-1475https://doi.org/10.1089/lap.2018.0314
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and the risk for anastomotic failure: a report from Washington State's Surgical Care and Outcomes Assessment Program (SCOAP).JAMA Surg. 2015 Mar 1; 150: 223-228https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2014.2239
- NSAID use and anastomotic leaks following elective colorectal surgery: a matched case-control study.J Gastrointest Surg. 2014 Aug; 18 (Epub 2014 Jun 10): 1391-1397https://doi.org/10.1007/s11605-014-2563-8
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and anastomotic dehiscence after colorectal surgery: a meta-analysis.ANZ J Surg. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1111/ans.14322
- Comprehensive analysis of the effect of ketorolac administration after pancreaticoduodenectomy.J Am Coll Surg. 2020 Jun; 230 (Epub 2020 Feb 27. PMID: 32113030): 935-942.e2https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2020.02.024
- Classification of surgical complications: a new proposal with evaluation in a cohort of 6336 patients and results of a survey.Ann Surg. 2004; 240: 205e213
- The Clavien-Dindo classification of surgical complications: five year experience.Ann Surg. 2009; 250: 187e196
- Inhibition of some human neutrophil functions by the cyclooxygenase inhibitor ketorolac tromethamine.J Leukoc Biol. 1992; 51: 490e495
- Wound collagen deposition in rats: effects of an NO-NSAID and a selective COX-2 inhibitor.Br J Pharmacol. 2000; 129: 681e686
- Inhibition of angiogenesis by nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: insight into mechanisms and implications for cancer growth and ulcer healing.Nat Med. 1999; 5: 1418e1423
- Effects of diclofenac sodium on bursting pressures of anastomoses and hydroxyproline contents of perianastomotic tissues in a laboratory study.Int J Surg. 2006; 4: 222e227
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of risk factors of postoperative pancreatic fistula after distal pancreatectomy in the era of 2016 international study group pancreatic fistula definition.HPB. Aug. 2021; 23: 1139-1151https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hpb.2021.02.015
- Greater omentum binding: a simple technique to cover the pancreatic remnant after distal pancreatectomy.J Am Coll Surg. 2014; 219 (August): e19-e23https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2014.01.066
- Risk factor analysis and prevention of postoperative pancreatic fistula after distal pancreatectomy with stapler use.J Hepato-Biliary-Pancreatic Sci. 2013; 20: 538-544
- Ibuprofen and diclofenac treatments reduce proliferation of pancreatic acinar cells upon inflammatory injury and mitogenic stimulation.Br J Pharmacol. 2018 Jan; 175 (Epub 2017 Jun 16): 335-347https://doi.org/10.1111/bph.13867
- Excisional wound healing is delayed in a murine model of chronic kidney disease.PLoS One. 2013; 8
- Renal dysfunction aggravated impaired cutaneous wound healing in diabetic mice.Wound Repair Regen. 2019 Jan; 27 (Epub 2018 Dec 4. PMID: 30362661): 49-58https://doi.org/10.1111/wrr.12682
- Effects of renal dysfunction on healing of colonic anastomosis: experimental study in wistar rats.Arq Bras Cir Dig. 2018 Dec 6; 31 (PMID: 30539973; PMCID: PMC6284399): e1398https://doi.org/10.1590/0102-672020180001e1398
- Risk factors for maintenance hemodialysis patients undergoing elective and emergency abdominal surgery.Surg Today. 2014; 44: 1906-1911https://doi.org/10.1007/s00595-013-0828-6
- Risk factors for morbidity and mortality following abdominal surgery in patients on maintenance hemodialysis.Hepato-Gastroenterology. 2007 Dec; 54 (PMID: 18265648): 2282-2284
- Safety of perioperative aspirin therapy in pancreatic operations.Surgery. 2014 Jan; 155 (Epub 2013 Jul 24): 39-46https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2013.05.031
Published online: February 09, 2023
Accepted: February 6, 2023
Received: July 18, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
This article is being submitted as an original article. It is based on a podium presentation by A. Adkins at Pacific Coast Surgical Association Annual Meeting- Napa Valley, CA. February 2018.
Published by Elsevier Ltd on behalf of International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association Inc.