Vascular complications after liver transplantation (LT) can be lethal and require immediate treatment to prevent graft failure. Nowadays, with interventional radiology (IR), approaches such as the percutaneous transhepatic (PTH) and transileocolic venous (TIC), have become major treatment options. We reviewed the safety and efficacy of a hybrid operating room (OR) for portal vein complications after LT.
Patients who underwent IR for post-LT vascular complications in the hybrid OR from May 2014 to May 2022 were enrolled. Patients who underwent post-LT IR in conventional angiography rooms were excluded.
Nine patients developed portal vein complications; eight after living donor LT and one after deceased donor LT. Six patients had portal vein stenosis, two had portal vein thrombosis, and one had both. In the hybrid OR, PTH and TIC were used in five and three cases, respectively. The Rendezvous technique was used in one case. Angioplasty was performed in all patients. A stent was placed in four patients. The portal venous pressure gradient across the stenotic site significantly decreased after IR (P &= 0.031). The IR success rate in the hybrid OR was 100%.
The hybrid OR enables us to accomplish IR for post-LT vascular complications safely and effectively.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to HPB
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Vascular complications following liver transplantation.Semin Intervent Radiol. 2004; 21: 221-233
- Percutaneous portal venoplasty and stenting for anastomotic stenosis after liver transplantation.World J Gastroenterol. 2009; 15: 1880-1885
- Interventional radiology procedures in adult patients who underwent liver transplantation.World J Gastroenterol. 2009; 15: 684-693
- Portal vein complications after adult-to-adult living donor liver transplantation.Transpl Int. 2008; 21: 1136-1144
- Portal vein thrombosis in adults undergoing liver transplantation: risk factors, screening, management, and outcome.Transplantation. 2000; 69: 1873-1881
- The application of interventional radiology in living-donor liver transplantation.Korean J Radiol. 2021; 22: 1110-1123
- Vascular stents in the management of portal venous complications in living donor liver transplantation.Am J Transplant. 2010; 10: 1276-1283
- Long-term outcomes of transmesenteric portal vein recanalization for the treatment of chronic portal vein thrombosis after pediatric liver transplantation.Am J Transplant. 2018; 18: 2220-2228
- Stent placement for benign portal vein stenosis following pancreaticoduodenectomy in a hybrid operating room.Biosci Trends. 2019; 12: 641-644
Published online: February 02, 2023
Accepted: January 30, 2023
Received: December 26, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Meeting presentation: None.
© 2023 International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association Inc. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.