Percutaneous transhepatic cholangioscopy (PTCS) has provided an alternative therapeutic option for handling refractory biliary complications in liver transplanted recipients. This study aimed to evaluate short-term PTCS efficiency in the management of biliary complications following liver transplantation.
Clinical data of 25 patients who received therapeutic PTCS due to biliary complications after liver transplantation were retrospectively analyzed.
Therapeutic PTCS was successfully performed in 25 patients. Biliary complications were anastomotic strictures in seven cases, intrahepatic cholangiolithiasis in four cases, extra-and intrahepatic cholangiolithiasis in three cases, choledocholithiasis complicated with anastomotic strictures in four cases, intrahepatic cholangiolithiasis complicated with non-anastomotic strictures in one case, intrahepatic cholangiolithiasis complicated with anastomotic strictures in five cases, intrahepatic cholangiolithiasis complicated with anastomotic strictures and ischemic cholangitis in one case. The median time between liver transplantation and first PTCS was 24 months, and median times of PTCS was 2.6. Clinical manifestations were significantly improved in most patients after PTCS, and biliary complications were successfully managed through PTCS in 15 cases, which were partially effective in eight cases and ineffective in two cases. PTCS was more effective in tackling anastomotic strictures and cholangiolithiasis.
PTCS was an effective therapeutic modality for treating refractory biliary complications following liver transplantation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to HPB
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A review on the management of biliary complications after orthotopic liver transplantation.J Clin Transl Hepatol. 2019; 7: 61-71
- Biliary complications after liver transplantation; recent developments in etiology, diagnosis and endoscopic treatment.Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2017; 31: 227-235
- Biliary complications after liver transplantation: old problems and new challenges.Am J Transplant. 2013; 13: 253-265
- Biliary reconstruction and complications in living donor liver transplantation.Int J Surg. 2020; 82S: 138-144
- Biliary complications in donation after circulatory death liver transplantation: the Australian National Liver Transplantation Unit's experience.ANZ J Surg. 2021; 91: 445-450
- Management of anastomotic biliary stricture after liver transplantation and impact on survival.HPB. 2021; 23: 1259-1268
- Bile duct strictures after liver transplantation.Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2014; 30: 320-325
- Risk factors and impact of early anastomotic biliary complications after liver transplantation: UK registry analysis.BJS Open. 2021; 5zrab019
- Endoscopic approach for management of biliary strictures in liver transplant recipients: a systematic review and meta-analysis.United European Gastroenterol J. 2017; 5: 827-845
- Bile duct strictures after adult liver transplantation: a role for biliary reconstructive surgery?.Liver Transplant. 2004; 10: 928-934
- Efficacy of endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography in the treatment of biliary complications following liver transplant: 10 Years of a single-centre experience.GE Port J Gastroenterol. 2018; 25: 10-17
- Endo-therapies for biliary duct-to-duct anastomotic stricture after liver transplantation: outcomes of a nationwide survey.Liver Int. 2019; 39: 1355-1362
- Definitive outcomes of self-expandable metal stents in patients with refractory post-transplant biliary anastomotic stenosis.Dig Liver Dis. 2015; 47: 562-565
- Biliary strictures complicating living donor liver transplantation: problems, novel insights and solutions.World J Gastroenterol. 2018; 24: 2061-2072
- Comparison between percutaneous transhepatic rigid cholangioscopic lithotripsy and conventional percutaneous transhepatic cholangioscopic surgery for hepatolithiasis treatment.Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutaneous Tech. 2016; 26: 54-59
- One-step percutaneous transhepatic cholangioscopy combined with high-frequency needle-knife electrotomy in biliary strictures after liver transplantation.Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutaneous Tech. 2021; 31: 787-793
- Endoscopic management of biliary complications after liver transplantation: an evidence-based review.World J Gastrointest Endosc. 2015; 7: 606-616
- Development, management, and resolution of biliary complications after living and deceased donor liver transplantation: a report from the adult-toadult living donor liver transplantation cohort study consortium.Liver Transplant. 2013; 19: 259-267
- Managing the post-liver transplantation anastomotic biliary stricture: multiple plastic versus metal stents: a systematic review.Gas Endoscopy. 2013; 77: 679-691
- Endoscopic treatment of biliary complications after living donor liver transplantation in a high volume transplant center in Turkey; a single-center experience.Acta Gastroenterol Belg. 2018; 81: 283-287
- Endoscopic treatment of biliary complications after liver transplantation.Rev Esp Enferm Dig. 2020; 112: 605-608
- Percutaneous transhepatic balloon dilation of biliary-enteric anastomotic strictures after surgical repair of iatrogenic bile duct injuries.PLoS One. 2012; 7e46478
- Percutaneous transhepatic laser lithotripsy for intrahepatic cholelithiasis.Diagn Interv Imaging. 2019; 100: 793-800
- Management of biliary anastomotic strictures after liver transplantation.Transplant Rev. 2017; 31: 207-217
- Cholangioscopy-assisted guidewire placement in post-liver transplantation anastomotic biliary strictures: efficient and potentially also cost-effective.Endoscopy. 2017; 49: E283-E284
- Digital single-operator cholangioscopy: a useful tool for selective guidewire placements across complex biliary strictures.Surg Endosc. 2019; 33: 731-737
- Spyglass cholangioscopy assisted guidewire placement for post-LDLT biliary strictures: a case series.Surg Endosc. 2016; 30: 3897-3903
- Latrogenic biliary injuries: identification, classification and management.Surg Clin. 2014; 94: 297-310
- Intraductal transanastomotic stenting in duct-to-duct biliary reconstruction after living-donor liver transplantation: a randomized trial.J Am Coll Surg. 2017; 225: 747-754
- Biliary strictures after liver transplantation.Gut and Liver. 2011; 5: 133-142
- Cholangioscopy and double-balloon enteroscopy mediated “sandwich puncture” of a completely closed choedochojejunostomy.Video GIE. 2021; 6: 325-328
- Role of percutaneous radiological treatment in biliary complications associated with adult left lobe living donor liver transplantation: a single-centre experience.Diagn Interv Radiol. 2021; 27: 546-552
Published online: January 24, 2023
Accepted: January 20, 2023
Received: May 17, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association Inc. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.